First, set 2 sticks of butter in a pot over low heat to melt. (Sorry. No photo). Zest one lemon:
Allow the butter to cool while you sift together 1 1/2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder:
(OK, I didn’t sift. So sue me.)
Remove 2 tablespoons of butter from the pot and put it in a small bowl. Brush the butter into your molds:
Then beat together 5 eggs and 3/4 cups sugar.
While the mixer is going on low, add the flour in a steady stream:
Stir in the butter and the lemon zest.
Use a spoon to fill the molds about 7/8s full.
These are a little too full:
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until they’re springy and golden brown. Turn out to cool:
1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
8 ounces (2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled, divided use
5 large eggs
3/4 cup ( 5 1/2 ounces) sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Sift the flour with the baking powder onto a sheet of wax paper and set aside. (I used a bowl.)
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Use 2 tablespoons of the melted butter to thoroughly grase the shell molds. Be sure to brush in all the groves.
3. Combine the eggs and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a whisk or a hand mixer). Whisk until the mixtures is light and frothy and the sugar is dissolved.
4. Still whisking, add the dry ingredients in a steady stream. Once smooth, stir in the remaining butter and the lemon zest. At this point, the batter can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen tor up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
5. Drop the batter by large spoonfuls into the molds. Fill the shells about 7/8ths full. They will rise a lot.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the Madeleines have peaked, spring back when lightly touched and are lightly browned. Do not overbake or they will dry out. Immediately invert onto a clean towel or cooling rack. If they stick, loosen them with a small, sharp knife. Madeleines may be stored in an overnight container with wax paper between the layers for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Variation: Chocolate Orange Madeleines
Substitute 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/4 cup of the flour and the finely grated zest of 1 orange for the lemon zest. Sift the cocoa together with the flour and baking powder. Proceed as directed.